Sunday, September 28, 2014

Working Hard ~ Playing Harder in our School Of Rock

Teach Thought 30 Day Blogging Challenge ~ Day 26 ~ What Role do Weekends and Holidays Play in my Teaching


The role they play for me is to play. Work hard ~ Play harder.


Either I take the entire weekend off to play; to rest, recuperate and recharge,


or I work hard the entire weekend to create lessons that allow us to play at school.

And not just academic games, but to play with science and math and reading and writing through an historical adventure.
The goal, or desired effect, is for my students to play with knowledge through experiential discovery in order to understand it well enough to perform it. 

As I'm planning, I envision them as musicians of all different kinds

 applying their new knowledge to play the instruments of their choice in new and exciting ways,*


resulting in a passionate performance!


*Taylor, Florencia and Katie doing well enough on their in-class reading assignment to take time off and play a little Spanish air guitar to the music of The Gipsy Kings (I got to play just because I'm the teacher - and, well, I need to have fun too). 



No comments:

Post a Comment