Monday, September 22, 2014

Role Models Helped my Students Believe in Themselves




I am very proud of myself for finding a way to contact living role models that my students admired, who would hopefully in turn inspire my students.

I began this 7-8 years ago while teaching at an underprivileged school. My 4th grade students didn't believe in themselves and didn't care if this new teacher called Mr. Stuart believed in them either.


So I thought, "What if I can contact people they do care about to send them a signed picture with a message of inspiration?"


Robin Williams (above), John Travolta, Jeff Goldblum, Eddie Murphy, Denzel Washington, Tate Donovan, Brian Donovan, Tony Horton, Jennifer Aniston, Matt LeBlanc, the cast of Will & Grace, Marc Mero, and others all responded.


I'm home recuperating after surgery and will post their pictures when I return to work. 

These people fought hard to believe in themselves UNTIL their dreams became a reality, and have helped my students each year do the same. 

For that I am very proud of making happen :-)

*This blog is dedicated to Robin Williams, whose performance in Dead Poets Society inspired me to leave business and become a teacher. 

30 Day Blog Challenge ~ Teach Thought ~ One of Your Biggest Accomplishments in Your Teaching that No One Knows About (and might not care)



No comments:

Post a Comment