Sunday, September 28, 2014

Good morning, Vietnam! It's Project-Based Learning

Teach Thought 30 Day Blogging Challenge ~ Day 24 ~ Which learning trend captures my attention most and why?


Since I began teaching I have been really intrigued with both project-based learning (PBL) and game-based learning (GBL). 


But right now I want to improve PDQ in PBL while incorporating GBL ASAP so my students can be MVPs in Marzano's three DQ's, numbers 4, 2 and 3 


And instead of being MIA, or worse KIA in achieving their dreams, they become VIPs and LOL while ROFL while shouting, "I LOVE being ME!"


Shout out to the acronym master and man who made me want to be a teacher, Robin Williams. 





Project-Based Learning

Two of the wisest humans we have ever known, Aristotle and Confucius, were proponents of learning by doing...... 




 
              thetop10influentialpeople.wikispaces.com             www.chicagonow.com

......while Socrates showed us, "how to learn through questioning, inquiry, and critical thinking."  


The learners learn by active involvement in engaging projects, "inspired to obtain a deeper knowledge of the subjects they're studying".*

When I came back to the world of education from the world of business, I quickly realized I wouldn't hire the best of my students if all they could do was tell me what they knew, but couldn't do anything with what they knew. 

Life is all about doing, not simply knowing. 

In school we are trained to know a lot, but are we taught how to use what we know?

We know how to lose weight, but do we know how to use what we know to actually lose weight?

We know how to play a sport from endless hours watching it on the couch, but do we know how to use what we know to actually play the sport?

Would we teach art without having them do art, play an instrument, sing a song? 

Or do we just tell them how to do art, how to play an instrument, and how to sing a song?


This year, just like Bill & Ted on their Excellent Adventure, we are time-traveling scientists, adventuring around the cosmos and back-and-forth in time while integrating our reading, math, science, social studies and writing into our time-traveling projects.

Instead of just memorizing facts for an EOC, we're taking ideas and using them to question, explain, explore, analyze, create, critique, rethink, and inspire!** 

Even though I have so much more to learn about doing PBL better and better, I have an unlimited supply of teachers to help me along the way, and I'm excited!!!

                         krystalinevisions.blogspot.com                            orwell1627.wordpress.com

*http://www.edutopia.org/project-based-learning
**From Teach Thought's Project-Based Learning Planning Cheat Sheet http://www.teachthought.com/learning/project-based-learning/project-based-learning-cheat-sheet-authentic-learning/


No comments:

Post a Comment